Current status: IN COMMITTEE
- ProposalThe European Commission proposes a legal initiativeSeptember 2016
- Draft reportThe rapporteur of the leading Committee in the European Parliament presents a draft reportMarch 2017
- OpinionsOther committees give their opinions on the proposalDrafts submitted February 2017, debate ongoing until May 2017
- AmendmentsOther MEPs submit amendments to the report and the opinionsuntil April 12, 2017
- CompromiseThe rapporteur attempts to consolidate the amendments into a report that unites a majority, the same happens with the opinionsuntil June 19, 2017
- Committee voteThe relevant committee passes the amended report or rejects itJune 19, 2017
- Plenary voteThe entire Parliament passes the final report or rejects itWinter 2017?
- Full title:
- Copyright in the Digital Single Market
- Directive (will be implemented into national law by Member States)
- Legal Affairs (JURI)
- MEP Therese Comodini Cachia (EPP, Malta)
- My role:
- Shadow rapporteur for the Greens/EFA group
1 minute summary
- A proposal to reform EU copyright was presented by Günther Oettinger shortly before leaving his post as Digital Commissioner. The proposal falls far short of the stated goal of “breaking down national silos in copyright” and updating the rules to the digital age.
- Several of the proposed measures would expand and complicate EU copyright. Three are particularly controversial: “Censorship machines” for file uploads, an extra copyright for news sites and the very limited scope of a proposed text and data mining exception.
- According to the draft opinion of the leading Legal Affairs Committee, as well as those of the Internal Market, Industry and Culture Committees, none of them seems to enjoy majority support among the appointed spokespeople in the European Parliament – though several individual MEPs are in favour. With Oettinger gone, will the EP reject his legacy?
- Next, Members of the Legal Affairs Committee can file amendments to MEP Comodini’s draft report by April 12, and the Committee is ambitiously scheduled to vote on its report in June.
What’s being debated
|September 14, 2016||EU Commission||Release of proposal for a Directive|
|February, 2017||IMCO, CULT, ITRE||Release of draft opinions|
|March 8, 2017||JURI||Release of MEP Comodini’s draft report|
|March 22, 2017||JURI||Debate of the draft report (from 11:16)|
|March 29, 2017||IMCO||Deadline for opinion amendments|
|April 12, 2017||JURI||Deadline for report amendments|
|April 24, 2017||IMCO||Debate of opinion amendments|
|May 3, 2017||JURI||Debate of report amendments|
|May 10, 2017||EU Commission||Digital Single Market policy review|
|May 30, 2017||IMCO||Vote on opinion|
|June 19, 2017?||JURI||Vote on report|
|Winter 2017?||EU Parliament Plenary||Vote on report|
What you can do
Share these videos:
Icons use material (cc) Ralf Schmitzer, Valery, Nathan Diesel, Curve for the Noun Project
To the extent possible under law, the creator has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.